I am lucky to live on the gorgeous Hibiscus Coast in north Auckland (New Zealand) with my partner of over 30 years an accomplished eco-biobuilder and investor-renovator hubby Mark; and our three cool yadults (young adult children).
I was born in Wellington New Zealand (nee Boon), went to primary school in Christchurch, and secondary school on Auckland's North Shore. I then enjoyed two decades in the Travel Industry in sales, marketing and management roles, eventually developing my own niche UK-Europe accommodation wholesaler with branches franchised nationally.
After the early years of motherhood and annoyed at the traditionally pious mother-craft guidebooks written by ideological experts espousing perfect parenting philosophies, I set out to create a new writing genre in motherhood books. The result was what became a bit of a trend-setting return to a middle-of-the-road in-the-trenches-of-reality writing style with extensive focus on the mother's journey, not just the baby: "OH BABY...Birth, Babies & Motherhood Uncensored". This book has gained the nickname of the 'Kiwi Bible" to birth and newborns.
Once my children were a bit older, and with being so passionate about maternity issues; I then embarked on the formidable "climbing Mt Everest" journey to obtain full academic Midwifery qualifications. Then, a year later, completed Oh Baby's long awaited sequel "OH GROW UP...Toddlers to PreTeens Decoded".
After a few years under my belt as a practicing midwife, I became recipient of the Bio-Oil Postnatal Care Grant which I used as seed-money to create SOMCANZ – the Symposium of Maternity Carers NZ – the 2015 global inaugural conference on integrative maternity healthcare.
Then in 2016 my third manuscript "OH GOD - WHAT THE HELL DO I TELL THEM?! Guide for vaguely spiritual parents" won 2nd in our country's most prestigious body-mind-spirit book awards.
In early 2017, after almost a decade of being a 24-7 on-call self-employed midwife in North Auckland catching literally hundreds of babies - from Hospital deliveries to Birth Centre waterbirths to loads of home-births (sometimes in pretty rural locations) - I decided (my body decided?!?) it was time overdue to create a healthier work-life balance again, so am now a part-time Research Midwife at Auckland University. Then, in mid 2017 my second book OH GROW UP was published for the North American market.
These days my Life mainly revolves around my roles are as a wife, mother, university maternity researcher, founding director of SOMCANZ, managing director of BabyOK Products, administration support to my hubby's investment property renovation work, and my ongoing writing (I am working on my 'tad overdue' book "OH MAMA - Midwife's Guide to Integrative Maternity Healthcare").
...And having a Life enjoying good friends and a good pinot noir. Imagine you and I sitting on the deck, having a wine with our whine, that's my Happy Place ... great company and gregarious laughter!
- Almost a decade as a 24-7 on-call self-employed midwife operating in the North Auckland region
- Author of the best-selling book OH BABY... Birth, Babies & Motherhood Uncensored
- Author of the popular sequel book OH Grow Up...Toddlers to Preteens Decoded
- Author of the award-winning manuscript OH GOD - WHAT THE HELL DO I TELL THEM?! Guide for Vaguely Spiritual Parents"
- Founding Director of SOMCANZ – conferences on integrative maternity healthcare.
- Managing Director of BabyOK™ Products, famous for the Babe-Sleeper attached sleepbag
- Parenting expert columnist with Woman's Day magazine
- Contributing Sub-Editor for the Littlies Essential NZ Pregnancy & Birth Guide magazine
- Guest expert on TV series “The New Old”
- Celebrity website columnist & advisor for Kiwi Families website
- Seminar facilitator at Parents Inc's The Parenting Place
- Parenting columnist for New World's Essentially Food magazine
- Guest Journalist in Her Business magazine
- Guest Journalist in InTouch magazine
- Guest journalist in Foodtown magazine
- Guest journalist in Little Treasures magazine
- Guest journalist in InPUT magazine
- Guest journalist in Healthy Options magazine
- Guest journalist in Rainbow News magazine
- Author of infant sleep chapter in Parent Centre's Birth Story magazine
- Website Columnist and Expert Advisor at Mums On Top website
- Website Columnist and Expert Advisor at CoffeeGroup.org website
- Website columnist at Womenz website
- Website Columnist at Oh Baby! website
- Maternity Panel speaker for NZ Medical Students conference
- Regular anual keynote speaker at the BabyShow. Watch the video intro
- Keynote speaker at Queenstown's Life Synergy Expo
- Regular 'Parenting Guru' guest on NewsTalkZB Lifestyle Hour with Kerre Woodham
- OH BABY is recommended by Parents Inc (Parenting With Confidence) as their favourite book for the topics of childbirth, infants and new motherhood.