It is such a unique time when the baby is over two days old, but your full-milk hasn’t yet fully arrived – and of course there’s lots to know about on this steep learning curve!
* Blues ending > Milk arriving
* Post-birth examinations (breasts, perineum, C-section wound)
* Psychologically feeling confident in the home environment?
* Awareness of Signs & Symptoms for Postnatal Infections eg Fever/Flu-like, especially Breast mastitis (red patches/streak), and Womb entometritis/puerperal sepsis (abdo cramps, foul-smelling discharge)
* Self-Care (rest, support, daily multi)
* Access to assistance & advice on breastfeeding & lactation
* Physical well-being (vigorous, productive suckling, increasing wet diapers, transitional stools)
* Knowledge of recognising & managing minor issues (eg conjunctivitis, cord-flare, nappy-rash)
* Access to understanding baby cries (free WHY THEY CRY guide & OH BABY chapter)
* Jaundice – recognising the difference between mild, moderate & severe (to access blood-tests of Bilirubin levels for potential Light Phototherapy in a timely manner), and increase feeds, decrease cold-stress & give naked indirect natural light in a well warmed room.
Luv & light,
Connect with Kathy Fray: